1. TELL THE TRUTH about the climate and ecological crisis that threatens our existence and communicate the urgency for change.
It is the duty of the Government to protect its citizens and thus be honest about the existential threats they are facing. The Government must declare a climate and ecological emergency and communicate the urgency for change. In doing so, it must recognize that the environmental crisis has the highest priority and requires fundamental changes.
2. ACT NOW to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025 in a just and fair manner.
The transition towards a sustainable economy should prioritize the interests of the most vulnerable people in the Netherlands and throughout the world. The climate and ecological crisis disproportionately impact impoverished and marginalized communities. Because of its historical responsibility in greenhouse gas emissions and environmental damage, as well as its prosperity and technological capabilities, the Netherlands must take the lead on the transition and minimize environmental injustices.
3. LET CITIZENS DECIDE by establishing a Citizen’s Assembly which takes the lead on climate and ecological justice.
A Citizens’ Assembly can break the deadlock. It will empower citizens to take the lead and politicians to follow with less fear of political backlash. It will give a voice to those marginalised from political decision making and thus ensure that the burdens of the crisis are distributed fairly. Informed by balanced scientific advice and free from political power games, members of the Assembly can make rational decisions in the common interest of society.
Citizens’ Assemblies are not a new idea. They have been used in Ireland, Canada, Poland, Belgium, and other countries to make ambitious policies. Even in the Netherlands, political parties experimented with this institution.
Further Resources on Citizens’ Assemblies
- De Correspondent: Protesten? Check. Plannen? Check. Nu heeft het klimaat meer democratie en doorzettingsvermogen nodig
- De Correspondent: Democratische vernieuwing: het kan dus wel
- NOS: Voortaan dan maar loten in plaats van stemmen?
- Extinction Rebellion UK – Citizens’ Assembly Podcast
- Democracy is like a garden, you need to always tend it, it is never done by Tend it like a Garden
- Lecture by Justice Mary Laffoy, Chair of The Citizens’ Assembly by RTÉ
- Against elections by David van Reybrouck (beschikbaar in engels en nederlands)
- Democratic Innovations by Graham Smith
Webpages and organisations